• Post

    PCS TO MCAS Iwakuni & Camp Butler Okinawa Updated 4 March 2021
    If you are PCSing from a base of a different branch of service, the “names” for the shops will be different (DMO, PTO, etc. Find your
    **COVID-19: COVID-19 test required within 72 hours before flight to Japan. Currently all passengers are required to wear a mask
    on the AMC-PE. Blanket and pillow service on the AMC-PE has been suspended. Masks are required for all TSPs and customers
    during pack-out and pick-up of personal property. Contact your sponsor/gaining command for other COVID-19 updates and ROM
    First Steps After Receiving Orders
    (Most of these action items will be happening simultaneously. Some of them take time, so initiate and then move to the next step.)

    Make sure your
    Orders are Accurate
    (Do this immediately)
    As soon as you receive your orders, make sure all details are accurate.
    • Check service member information, duty stations (present/future commands), family member
    details (names and birthdates), and reporting dates. Let your supporting admin office (S1) know
    if there are any errors.
    • Check to make sure dependents are specifically listed on your orders. If not, you’ll need to
    submit a formal request for “Accompanied Orders” through your chain of command.

    Grab a Calendar &
    Get Organized
    Create a rough timeline for your move.
    • Check the NLT (no later than) date on your orders and work backwards. Determine your
    preferred pack-out/pick-up dates and flight dates along with alternative dates. Use one calendar
    as a central location for all things PCS-related. Also see “Create a Move Binder” section to
    organize your important documents.

    Confirm GTCC is in
    good standing
    Apply for a Government Travel Charge Card (GTCC) if you do not already have one.
    • All Marines are required to use a GTCC. If you already have one, check with your S1/Admin to
    make sure your GTCC is activated and in “mission critical” status prior to travel.

    Sign up for an MCCS
    Relocation Class with
    your I&R Office
    (If available)
    Search for your local MCCS Information, Referral, & Relocation (I&R) website to sign up.
    • A PCS workshop is required for the service member and highly encouraged for the spouse. This
    course will provide an overview of all moving parts of a PCS. You can also request a sponsor
    during this workshop.
    • Another great resource if you are unable to attend: NAVSUP Counseling Webinar Videos and

    Initiate Overseas
    Suitability Screening
    (OSS) process
    (Initiate immediately
    upon receipt of
    OCONUS orders,
    within 10 days)
    Start the Suitability Screening process immediately upon receipt of orders by contacting your
    assigned Area Suitability/Overseas Screening Coordinator or the nearest Medical Treatment
    Facility (MTF).
    The purpose of the OSS is to screen all family members of active duty and/or activated service
    members who request government-sponsored travel to OCONUS locations for potential travel
    concerns, which may include medical, educational, and/or dental needs, to ensure that the gaining
    location can meet their needs. Work with your assigned OSS Coordinator to meet all medical
    clearance requirements. Per BUMED Instruction 1300 2.B, the OSS process is required to be
    completed within 30 days for the service member(s) and 60 days for family member(s). Once the
    OSS Clearance is complete, see the “Area Clearance” Section of this document.
    EFMP (Exceptional Family Member Program) families: Contact your local EFMP office upon receipt
    of orders to ensure all paperwork is current. Ask for a PCS Needs Assessment and transition
    resources. Also contact your gaining installation EFMP office to discuss any concerns with housing,
    educational, or medical needs. If you need help locating an office, you can search EFMP family
    support services through Military OneSource.

    Complete your
    Outbound Interview
    Sign into your Marine On-Line (MOL) account to complete your Outbound Interview (OBI).
    • All Marines in receipt of PCS orders will utilize the OBI module within MOL. This will cover all
    information needed by IPAC/admin to finalize PCS orders. This will also determine your travel
    entitlements. The OBI is needed to start the flight booking process. Be sure to include your
    pet(s) in your OBI. See “Schedule Flights” section.
    Page 2 of 13

    Schedule Flights with
    your local Passenger
    Travel Office (PTO)
    (PTO is usually
    located within DMO)
    Note: this step takes
    some time and you
    cannot be officially
    booked on AMC-PE
    until on/around the
    90 day window when
    flights are released
    Initiate and move to
    the next step.
    The following steps explain the flight booking process.
    Upon receiving PCS orders, you can initiate the flight process:
    1. Complete your Outbound Interview (OBI) through your MOL Account
    2. Contact your local PTO to submit AMC travel/pet travel request (See “Submit your Pet
    3. Your Admin/S-1 will review your OBI and submit your request to IPAC Outbound
    4. Once you complete the interview with IPAC outbound, IPAC will send DMO a Port-Call Request
    (PCR) with your family’s information along with a flight window that includes two AMC dates.
    This PCR usually requires dependent passport information. See “Initiate Passport” Section
    5. DMO will then respond to IPAC’s PCR with a Port Call Confirmation (flight itinerary)
    6. Transportation is issued after receiving endorsement Orders. (AMC-PE should always be
    considered first before utilizing commercial options). You will need an ETP in order to fly
    Things to consider:
    • Are you taking leave? Schedule your LICWO (Leave in Conjuction With Orders) travel.
    • Are you storing a vehicle? You have the option to leave from the VPC (Vehicle Processing
    Commercial leg to Seattle for AMC-PE:
    The commercial flight reservation will be booked through PTO. There is a difference between
    having reservations for your commercial flight and being ticketed for your commercial flight. Your
    reservation (commercial itinerary) will be forwarded to you for your flight to Seattle. If everything
    is correct such as location, spelling of names, and birthdates, the traveler will call the Travel
    Management Company (SATO) to purchase tickets. Once your flight is paid for, a commercial ticket
    will be issued. This travel is normally paid for (with your GTCC) and ticketed within 72 hours (3
    business days) prior to departure OR on a case-by-case basis at the Marine’s request upon
    detaching from your unit if earlier ticketing is needed.

    Submit your Pet
    Information to your
    local Passenger
    Travel Office (PTO)(If
    applicable, As soon
    as you know your
    general departure
    **Pets are not an entitlement. You assume all risk/cost associated with the transportation of
    your pet(s).**Contact your local PTO (usually located within DMO) to submit your pet
    information including:
    • Name of member traveling with pet, estimated travel window, type of pet, dimensions of
    crate, weight of pet, & total weight with crate. If you plan to PCS with a pet(s), this should be
    done as soon as you know your general departure month.
    • You do not need orders to make AMC reservation requests. You are giving PTO your dependent
    and pet information so they can be prepared to submit your pet space request as soon as
    USTRANSCOM opens the AMC-PE flight on/around the 90 day mark.
    • Pet reservations will be apportioned on a first come/first served basis. Space is limited on the
    AMC-PE, and there is no guarantee of a reservation no matter how early this process is
    • See Peak Season MARADMIN Section 9 on Transporting Pets. AMC-PE should always be the
    first option when transporting your pet. Visit the AMC Pet Travel Page for breed restrictions
    and pet pricing which you are responsible for. Other options for moving pets include
    commercial airlines and pet relocation services (3rd party shippers) if AMC-PE is not available.
    These options can be more costly and are not reimbursable.
    • Air Mobility Command-Patriot Express (AMC-PE): DoD policy may allow passengers traveling
    in a PCS status to ship pets at their own expense. Pets are limited to dogs and cats only, with
    no more than 2 pets per family and must be accompanied by their owner. The combined
    weight of the pet and its kennel/carrier will not exceed 150 pounds when transported in the
    baggage compartment (aircraft belly). The combined weight of a pet and its kennel/carrier
    booked in cabin will not exceed 20 pounds. Please remember AMC-PE flights may not be
    available when you rotate back from an overseas location, resulting in commercial options at
    your personal/non refundable expense.
    Page 3 of 13

    Initiate the pet
    importation process
    for entry to Japan
    (if applicable)
    This process may
    take at least 6
    months to complete
    Make an appointment with your local Veterinarian (preferably a military Veterinarian Treatment
    facility (VTF) familiar with the process).
    • Review the Guide for importing dogs or cats into Japan. This document lists all
    requirements necessary to import your pet. Take it with you to your veterinary
    • Note: the advance notification is not required when flying AMC-PE (only required for
    • Reach out to Okinawa Veterinary Activity (Camp Butler) or Iwakuni Veterinary Treatment
    Facility (MCAS Iwakuni) with any additional assistance needed with the pet importation
    process. They also have base-specific guides they can send with more information.

    Initiate passport
    Call your local passport agent to make an appointment.
    Your local passport agent will provide specific guidance on passport requirements for your PCS to
    Japan. They have access to the Foreign Clearance Guide (FCG) which provides the entry/passport
    • The service member will PCS with Orders and Military ID
    • Ensure all dependents have passports. A regular (tourist) passport is for leisure travel
    outside of Japan and the No-fee passport (or Special Issuance Passport) is for official
    travel. You cannot travel for leisure with a no-fee passport.
    • Tip: Do not send in your tourist passport with your no-fee passport application.

    Area Clearance
    (After the OSS is
    Once the OSS is complete and dependents are found suitable, your local command or IPAC will
    submit the Area Clearance request using NAVPERS 1300/16 “Report of Suitability for Overseas
    The OCONUS location will validate the area clearance request and then send back to the
    originating sender. Upon receipt of approved area clearance, your local IPAC will complete your
    orders and retain until determined departure date/time of check-out. Upon completion of checkout from your local command, the Marine will go to the IPAC to pick up orders to depart the PDS.
    Contact your local IPAC with any questions regarding Area Clearance.
    Area Clearance is required for all military dependents PCSing to Japan. Dependents cannot enter
    the country without approved Area Clearance. This should be approved prior to purchase of
    tickets. You do not need Area Clearance in order to set up your personal property move. Continue
    to plan for your pick-up/pack-out dates while the Area Clearance is in process.
    Page 4 of 13

    Go to move.mil to
    complete your
    personal property
    counseling in DPS
    (Once notification is
    received that PCS
    Orders are
    forthcoming or the
    Orders are actually in
    Complete personal property counseling. Visit move.mil to create/update your account in the
    Defense Personal Property System (DPS). **If this is your first time moving, contact your local
    DMO first** Use the Locator Maps tool to find your nearest DMO (or Personal Property Office if
    you are not on a USMC base)
    Tip: Check out the Tutorials section for help using DPS and turn off your popup blocker to enable
    DPS window
    This counseling will teach the Marine and family members how the personal property portion of
    the move works. You will receive information on personal property entitlements and allowances,
    POV storage instructions, filing claims, and more. The service member (or person acting on behalf
    of the service member) will prepare an application in DPS. Marines are encouraged to take notes
    on entitlements, allowances, and procedures during counseling. Contact DMO to receive targeted
    counseling on any questions noted during DPS counseling before scheduling shipments.
    • There is no longer an Administrative Weight Limit for accompanied Marines moving to Japan.
    You can take 100% of your weight allowance. (MARADMIN 221/19)
    • Unaccompanied Baggage (UB or Express) weight limit is 2,000 lbs regardless of rank or number
    of dependents for accompanied tours to Japan. (JTR Paragraph 051403)
    • PRO Gear listed separately does not count against your total weight allowance. Net weight limit
    for Pro Gear for Marines (regardless of rank) is 2,000 pounds. Marines may request an
    additional weight allowance up to 500 pounds for Spouse Pro Gear required for employment or
    community service for the spouse. All Pro Gear requests MUST be submitted to the local PPO
    for consideration BEFORE the move.
    Upon completion of the counseling portion, you will be prompted to upload the required
    documents to schedule your shipments/storage. See next section “Schedule Shipments/Storage in

    Schedule your HHG
    shipment in
    DPS(after you have
    completed DPS the
    Counseling portion
    Goods)NTS (NonTemp Storage)
    Log into DPS to schedule your shipments (UB, HHG and NTS).Once DPS self-counseling is
    complete, it is time to schedule your shipments/storage. See move.mil “Planning for a move”
    section. Use DPS to upload your orders and create your shipments. Have this information
    ready:Your contact informationEstimated Weight Pick up & delivery locationsPick up & delivery
    dates (be flexible- no weekends or holidays). Different dates are needed for each shipment.Any
    special items and/or PBP&E (also known as Professional-Gear or Pro-Gear)Tip: If you do not know
    your exact delivery address, you can put down your new duty station and update your address
    later.Completing this step will generate your DD Forms. Review them first, and then sign.
    Questions about your forms? Contact your local DMO.
    Upload your signed DD forms into DPS:Another option is to send the following to your local DMO
    via email or in person: Basic orders, Signed DD1299 & DD1797 from DPS for each shipment, and
    POA (if applicable)Once the above documentation has been submitted to the local DMO/DPS,
    DMO will submit the application to the booking office, and you will receive an email with the TSP’s
    name/origin name and phone number of the agent who will be packing your shipment. Refer to
    “Prepping for Packout” section to start preparing your household goods.

    Start thinking about
    your vehicles: Will
    you store or sell
    Visit PCSmyPOV to learn about POV (privately owned vehicle) storage locations and to make an
    appointment for drop-off. You will need to notify DMO if you would like to store a POV.
    • Marines conducting a PCS move to Japan may be entitled to store one POV at government
    expense. Contact your local DMO for information regarding POV entitlements and to prepare
    required documents. Refer to “Storing your POV” section in this document.
    • Shipping a car to Japan is not recommended. There are restrictions, and it is costly.
    DTR Part IV Attachment K4 Storing your POV
    Page 5 of 13

    Contact IPAC
    Center) for
    Know your entitlements – Call or visit your local IPAC with any questions regarding entitlements.
    • TLE (Temporary Lodging Expense): Authorized 5 days CONUS if PCSing OCONUS
    • DLA (Dislocation Allowance): Partially reimburses a service member for relocation expenses
    (reimbursed upon checking in once travel claim is completed) MARADMIN 100/18
    • Per Diem: Flat rate for each day of travel
    • TLA (Temporary Lodging Allowance): Authorized OCONUS 10 days at a time while waiting for
    permanent housing
    • BAH (Basic Housing Allowance): Kicks in once you accept a house at your new duty station
    • GTCC (Government Travel Charge Card): Know your limit. Ask your S-1 if you need to raise your
    GTCC limit (larger families or unexpected ROM).
    • LICWO (Leave in Conjunction with Orders): Contact your chain of command regarding leave
    during COVID-19

    Request a sponsor if
    you have not been
    assigned one
    Contact the Sponsorship Coordinator (SC) of your gaining command or your local (I&R) Office.
    • Per MCO 1320.11G, sponsors are to be of equal or higher pay-grade to arriving service
    members. Commands are encouraged to match marital status (e.g., assign a sponsor who is
    married with children for the married arriving Service Member and family).
    • Your sponsor should be in contact with you no less than 60 days prior to your arrival, ideally
    shortly after you receive orders. Your sponsor will play a large role in assisting with your
    transition: housing process, providing local resources, signing you up for the welcome brief,
    helping you during ROM, and more.
    • Your sponsor should receive Sponsorship Training (I&R Office) in order to assist you through this
    Initial Helpful Resources

    Helpful Facebook
    Pages/Websites for
    PCS information and
    Follow these pages for helpful PCS Information:
    • The official Marine Corps Personal Property Facebook
    • The official Marine Corps Passenger Transportation Facebook
    • Official MCAS Iwakuni Website PCS to Iwakuni or Official Camp Butler Website PCS to Okinawa
    • Visit the LPD-2 Installations & Logistics website for more PCS move information
    • Visit the USMC PCS Support Pacific Facebook page for PCS-specific information to/from the
    Pacific Region
    • Navy Household Goods and Personal Property website is another great website for all DoD
    service members
    • Visit move.mil for the What to Expect with an OCONUS move Guide

    Create a “Move
    Binder” with
    Create a binder with all of your important documents in one place.
    • Day of travel documents: Orders (4-5 copies), Area clearance (4-5 copies), Passports (all
    dependents need a passport), Negative COVID-19 Test within 72 hours of travel, Pet Paperwork
    (and copies), Flight Itineraries, Military IDs and Driver’s Licenses
    • Other important documents: Social Security cards, medical records (immunization, medical, and
    dental records), birth/marriage certificates, school records/transcripts/IEPs, moving paperwork
    (TSP inventory sheets/important receipts, vehicle storage paperwork), TLF (hotel) info,
    important contacts (sponsor, gaining command phone numbers), tax documents, vehicle
    • Other examples: EFMP (Exceptional Family Member Program) paperwork, college
    transcripts/licensure/continuing education paperwork, naturalization certificates, divorce,
    adoption/guardianship, custody paperwork, etc. Anything that you would not want to be lost in
    the move should be hand carried with you!
    Page 6 of 13
    The Earlier the Better
    (Several months out is ideal)

    Communicate with
    your Sponsor
    Provide your sponsor with the following:
    A copy of your PCS orders
    A copy of your area clearance approval message
    Your travel itinerary
    Special Power or Attorney (SPOA) (optional): Granting the SPOA to your sponsor will allow them
    to do many things on your behalf before you arrive (such as accepting housing and HHG
    The key to a smooth PCS during COVID-19 is constant communication with your sponsor and
    gaining unit.

    Start sorting your
    Household Items
    Decide what you will bring and what you will purge or store.
    Homes are smaller in Japan, and storage upon arrival is limited. You will be entitled to three
    shipments: Non-Temp Storage (NTS), Unaccompanied Baggage (UB), and Household Goods (HHG).
    PRO Gear (Professional Books, Papers and Equipment or PBP&E) should be listed separately and
    can be shipped to Japan in either the Unaccompanied Baggage or the HHG shipment. Set aside
    items that are not authorized to be moved or stored. See “Prepping for Packout Section”

    Submit your Housing
    Each base housing will have a different application process. Your sponsor should assist you with
    the housing process at your new duty station: Okinawa Housing Website and Iwakuni Housing

    Make a reservation
    for Temporary
    Lodging Facility (TLF)
    You or your sponsor can make a TLF reservation at your new duty station once your flight is
    confirmed. It may be possible to ROM directly into base housing (upon availability), but make a TLF
    reservation just in case. Don’t forget to cancel the TLF reservation if you are able to go straight to
    housing upon arrival.

    Notify your landlord
    or sell/rent your
    Once you know your estimated moving dates, you will want to make a plan for your current home.
    Notify your landlord or make plans to sell your home/find renters if living in off-base housing.

    Schedule an
    appointment to
    store your POV
    (if applicable)
    • Appointments are required to store a POV
    • Marines must also be able to validate that all safety recall repairs have been performed.
    Customers have the option to conduct a self-storage of their POV and submit a reimbursement
    claim. Ask your Personal Property Office Counselor for the current reimbursement rate for
    storage of the POV.

    Renew your Military
    (if applicable)
    Dependents will likely need POA or the active duty service member present to renew a military ID.

    Renew your Driver’s
    (if applicable)
    Go to your local DMV if you are in the state of your current Driver’s License to renew. If not,
    review your state’s DMV renewal requirements. You will need a valid Driver’s License in order to
    receive a SOFA (Status of Forces Agreement) License. SOFA is an agreement between Japan and
    the US military forces in Japan that allows military dependents to move freely in the country and
    enjoy many of the privileges of native residents. You will also have to complete a driving test at the
    mandatory welcome brief. Ask your sponsor for more information.

    Research your
    If traveling AMC-PE (Seattle to Japan), visit the AMC Travel Site and AMC Pet Travel Site.
    AMC-PE leaves from Seattle and may have a few stops at military bases before your final
    destination to Iwakuni or Okinawa. You may also have a commercial leg booked to get to Seattle
    AMC. Make sure you research the commercial requirements for baggage and pets. You are
    responsible for calling the commercial airline to arrange your pet travel to Seattle.
    If traveling commercial, check with your airline for baggage allowance and pet information.
    Let your sponsor/gaining unit know as soon as your plans are finalized, so they can prepare for
    your arrival!
    AMC-PE should always be the first option. Commercial travel to Japan during COVID-19 is
    discouraged for PCS travel and requires an Exception to Policy (ETP) from a Commander in Japan.
    Ask your PTO for more information on the use of commercial travel to Japan.
    Page 7 of 13

    Come up with a
    spending plan/
    Create a budget
    There will be some up-front costs that will be reimbursed later, but also plan for start-up expenses
    once you arrive such as stocking your pantry/cleaning supplies and utilities.

    Make any other
    hotel arrangements
    needed prior to
    arrival in Japan
    Consult with IPAC for any questions regarding entitlements: TLE (Temp Lodging Expenses), TLA
    (Temp Lodging Allowance), or per diem, for example.

    You will likely need to bring medical records with you as the CONUS and OCONUS documentation
    systems cannot communicate. Bring immunization records, dental records, and other important
    medical records with you.

    Contact the School
    (if applicable)
    Contact the School Liaison For DoDEA school registration information at your new duty station.

    Contact the Child
    Development Center
    (if applicable)
    Oftentimes, the CDC will have a waitlist. Contact the CDC at your new duty station to inquire about
    a waitlist if you will require childcare upon arrival (especially dual military or dual working
    □ Contact I&R Information, Referral, & Relocation Offices (I&R) have more helpful resources on your new duty
    station on their websites: Okinawa I&R or Iwakuni I&R

    Ask your sponsor
    about setting up a
    P.O. Box
    Your sponsor may be able to set up a P.O. Box for you before you arrive. Ask your sponsor to
    inquire with postal. This will allow you to send items to yourself in advance if needed. This will also
    allow you to forward your address when you are ready. If your sponsor is not able to set up a P.O.
    Box, you can ask to mail some items to your sponsor if they are willing to accept and store them
    until you arrive. As long as ROM requirements are in place, your sponsor is responsible for helping
    you get your mail during that period.
    Prepping for Packout/Pickup (Pack-out/Pick-up of your shipments is usually a few weeks to a few months before your move,
    depending on your situation)

    Confirm dates with
    your TSP
    Contact your TSP to confirm all dates.
    Your pack-out dates will be the days leading up to your pick-up dates (This varies depending on
    your estimated weight). The pick-up date is the day your items are placed on the truck.

    Complete your PreMove Survey
    Call your TSP or DMO if you are within one week of moving day and have not had a Pre-Move
    Survey completed.
    The assigned TSP should contact you to schedule a pre-move survey. This is usually done at your
    home or over the phone depending on the type of shipment/estimated weight. They will estimate
    your weight and identify any special items entered in the DPS. This will allow them to have all the
    necessary packing materials on moving day. This is also a great chance to ask any questions you
    might have about the pack out/pick up process. Each TSP has guidelines that their teams will use in
    terms of what they can and cannot pack.

    Read Tips from
    move.mil Read the move.mil “Prepping your move” tips

    Organize and
    UB/HHG/NTS and
    PRO Gear
    • Sticky notes or labels can help identify which items are going into which shipment
    • Choose one room or area in your house where you can start separating express shipment
    items and items you need to travel with so they do not mistakenly get packed in the
    wrong shipment
    • Items that certain movers are willing to take will be TSP-dependent (examples: spices,
    sealed food items, etc)
    • Make sure you let your DMO know that you have PRO Gear and it is listed as separate on
    the inventory.
    • Use the Weight Estimator on move.mil to estimate how much your belongings weigh
    • Get rid of any Unauthorized items Note: Shipment of sealed alcohol is now authorized
    (MARADMIN 289/19)
    Page 8 of 13

    Prepare for your
    Baggage (Express
    (Although variable
    and delays can occur,
    transit time is usually
    ~1 month)
    Accompanied tours from CONUS to Japan are 2,000lbs for UB. (JTR Paragraph 051403)
    The UB shipment will get to your new location faster than your Household Goods (HHG) shipment.
    This should include any items you will want as soon as you arrive while waiting for the rest of your
    • What you can ship as UB: Personal clothing/shoes, Kitchenware (Essential pots, pans,
    utensils, etc), light household items (sheets, towels, pillows, comforters), Collapsible
    items such as cribs, playpens, and strollers, items to care for your dependents, and other
    household basics. Here is an Example UB Packing List.
    • What you cannot ship in UB: Appliances (washers/dryers/refrigerators), furniture, items
    of extraordinary value.

    Prepare for your
    HHG Shipment
    (Although variable,
    transit time is usually
    ~2-3 months)
    You should have learned your total weight allowance from the forms that were generated through
    DPS. HHG will take longer than the UB shipment. It will usually take a few months to arrive in
    Japan. This is the rest of your belongings that will be going to your new duty station- including all
    of your furniture. You will be offered temporary furniture when you arrive if you are still waiting
    for your HHG.

    Prepare for your NTS
    Almost anything you do not want to take with you can be stored in NTS for the duration of your
    overseas tour. Examples: bulky furniture that might not fit, garage items, recreational gear that
    you might not have room to store, large appliances like washer/dryer/refrigerator (these are
    provided by base housing). Remember: houses are smaller in Japan and storage is limited. When
    you return to the US and establish a new address, you can request retrieval and shipment of these
    stored belongings. It is suggested to schedule your pack-out/pick-up for NTS last. Customers have
    the option to conduct a self-storage NTS. Most often this is done to obtain humidity and
    temperature-controlled facilities, usually at a greater cost than government-provided NTS.

    Separate suitcases
    and items you will be
    traveling with
    • Consider blocking off a section of your home that is clearly labeled as “DO NOT MOVE”
    • Set aside items such as suitcases you will be traveling with that you do not want to be moved
    • Keep passports, move binder, purses, etc. out of the way of the movers so they do not
    accidentally pack them. Many people put these important documents and items inside their car
    so they will not be packed.
    • Check the baggage allowance for your airlines. If flying AMC-PE, email the Seattle AMC Terminal
    with any questions regarding your baggage allowance: Seattle.Gateway@us.af.mil
    • Don’t forget your medications along with a few refills to get you through the relocation process
    • Start setting aside a variety of snacks and entertainment, especially if traveling with children!

    Prepare household
    items/appliances for
    pack out & Create an
    Drain lawnmower, tape remotes to electronics, remove all batteries, remove all items from walls
    (curtains, pictures, TVs), disassemble outdoor playsets, move items out of attic/crawl space, and
    ensure all appliances are disconnected and ready to move.
    Create your own inventory: Always start with your highest-value items. Keep all receipts, get
    appraisal records, and take photos and videos prior to packing with enough detail to show the
    condition. Video record your electronics/appliances in working condition and take photos of the
    serial number plates on these items!
    Tip: Keep a copy of your inventory in your move binder.
    Page 9 of 13

    Know your
    important phone
    Have these important phone numbers on hand for any issues before or during your move:
    Distribution Management Office (DMO): Call for questions before your move, entitlements
    questions, scheduling counseling, providing updates to orders, assistance with shipment
    applications, issues with moving company before packing or pickup, date/location changes not
    accommodated by moving company, or to postpone/cancel a shipment
    Write your local DMO phone number here: __________________
    Quality Assurance (QA): Call for moving day issues
    Write your QA phone number here: ______________________
    Moving Company (Transportation Service Provider or TSP): Check DPS for your TSP contact
    information. Contact them for: setting up a pre-move survey, coordinating delivery at destination,
    date change requests, providing special item information, submitting inconvenience claims if the
    moving company is late, submitting real property damage claims (damage to your residence), or
    submitting claims for loss or damage.
    Write your TSP Move Coordinator phone number here: _____________________
    Origin Joint Personal Property Shipping Office Call JPPSO for date or location changes not
    accommodated by moving company, postpone or cancel a shipment, request an update on
    shipment status or tracing.
    Write your JPPSO Phone number here: _______________________
    Packout/Pickup Day

    Review Moving day
    Have your important phone numbers on hand (DMO, QA, and TSP Move Coordinator).
    • Keep move binder, purses, passports, medications, jewelry and any other valuables you
    do not want to be packed either locked in a safe place or with you at all times.
    • Come up with a plan for small children and/or pets while movers are packing up your
    house. Asking a friend/neighbor/babysitter for help can make things easier on moving
    • Tipping and/or supplying meals are not required. A TSP should never request this
    compensation from you; however, it is also not illegal to tip or feed your movers. The
    choice to tip and supply meals is at your own discretion.
    • The driver is usually in charge of the show. They are responsible for ensuring there is a
    crew and that everything is properly loaded before departing. If you run into any issues,
    talk with the driver first. If they are unable to resolve the issue, don’t hesitate to call your
    local DMO or QA for help.
    • The moving company will be creating an inventory of all your household items and will
    put stickers on all the boxes and larger items (couches, etc.). On these inventory sheets,
    they will also be indicating whether or not there was any pre-existing damage to your
    household goods. Be sure to check the condition codes they use on your items. If you
    disagree with their assessment, make sure to write it in the remarks section!
    • Do not sign the inventory sheet until you understand and agree with everything listed.
    • See more moving day tips from move.mil
    • Crates are not required to be sealed until 15 May 2021 when TSPs will be required to use
    tamper proof seals for overseas shipments.
    Things to Consider Before you Leave CONUS (Several Weeks out to up until you initiate travel)

    Contact IPAC with
    Questions Regarding
    For any last-minute questions regarding non-HHG entitlements and/or GTCC, contact your local

    Think about your cell
    phone plans
    Your sponsor can help you talk through the different cell phone options. Consider having a plan
    that will allow you to have phone service immediately off the plane and through your ROM period.

    Notify credit card
    Notify your credit card companies and banks that you are moving to Japan and pay any
    outstanding bills or set up autopay while you are in transit to your new duty station.
    Page 10 of 13

    Submit Change of
    It can take 7-10 business days to forward a mailing address through USPS.

    Share your
    forwarding address
    with providers
    Update your new address with healthcare providers and any other local services you utilize as
    soon as you have it so that any outstanding bills can be forwarded directly to you.

    Confirm TLF
    reservation Call or email to confirm your TLF reservation.
    □ Tricare Prime
    Stay enrolled in your current TRICARE plan. You will transfer to TRICARE Prime Overseas coverage
    after you arrive at your new location. Fill or refill any prescriptions to carry you through your
    relocation period.

    Withdrawing Yen
    It is a good idea to travel with yen, especially if flying commercial into Japan. If flying AMC-PE, you
    will only have stops at military bases along the way. There are ATMs on base, so you can withdraw
    yen after you arrive.
    Final Pre-Move Clean Out Before Leaving Residence

    Check any subscriptions, utilities, or delivery services you may have and cancel/update your

    Back up important
    files Back up/copy pictures and important documents/files to iCloud or similar

    Final house cleaning
    and inspection
    Clean your house thoroughly to include emptying and cleaning refrigerator, stove, and other major
    appliances. Complete your home inspection (if applicable), turn in the keys, and say goodbye to
    Storing your POV

    Confirm your
    Login to the PCS myPOV Website to find information about your appointment. You can search by
    your appointment number to edit or cancel an existing appointment. Appointments during peak
    season (May-Aug) are difficult to get, so try not to cancel or request a new date/time to turn in
    your POV.

    Turning in your
    You will need a letter from DMO to turn your vehicle into the VPC (Vehicle Processing Center).
    Visit PCSmyPOV to learn all about the POV Turn-In process and important documents to bring.
    • Valid set of orders/amendments
    • Written approval from leasing or lienholder authorizing export
    • Government/State issued identification
    • Proof of vehicle ownership (title or registration)
    • No unresolved Recall Notices
    • Fuel at ¼ tank or less
    • A complete set of keys, to include gas cap and wheel locks (valet keys are not accepted)
    • Installed auto alarm or anti-theft devices turned off or disconnected
    • POV is clean and in a safe and operable condition
    • POV meets host nation emission control and safety standards (listed in the PPCIG).
    You will also want to understand your POV Customer Bill of Rights
    48-72 Hours Before Travel (2-3 business days)
    □ COVID-19 Testing
    Per Force Health Protection Guidance Supplement 14: “All personnel conducting official
    international air travel will be tested with a viral test one to three days before departure via
    commercial or military airlift and maintain proof of the negative test during travel.” See
    MARADMIN 059/21 for supplemental guidance. See the COVID-19 Testing Fact Sheet for important
    testing details and helpful contact information if you test positive.
    Page 11 of 13

    Make sure
    commercial flights
    are TICKETED
    Call PTO to confirm your commercial flights are ticketed.
    There is a difference between having reservations for your commercial flight and being ticketed
    for your commercial flight. Your reservation (commercial itinerary) will be forwarded to you for
    your flight to Seattle. If everything is correct such as location, spelling of names, and birthdates,
    the traveler will call the Travel Management Company (SATO) to purchase tickets. Once your flight
    is paid for, a commercial ticket will be issued. This travel is normally paid for (with your GTCC) and
    ticketed within 72 hours (3 business days) prior to departure OR on a case-by-case basis at the
    Marine’s request upon detaching from your unit if earlier ticketing is needed.
    AMC-PE travel is paid for by the appropriation data on your orders and does not require GTCC.
    □ Follow AMC Seattle Follow AMC Seattle Gateway Facebook page for flight delays and updates.
    □ Double Check GTCC Check with your S1/Admin to make sure your GTCC is activated and in “mission critical” status
    prior to travel

    Double check all
    flight itineraries for
    If flying AMC-PE:
    • Re-visit AMC Travel Site and AMC Pet Travel Page
    • Check-in for the AMC-PE is usually very early in the morning
    • Bring a pen and have the following ready: Official Orders, Area Clearance, Military IDs,
    Passports, Negative COVID-19 test results within 72 hours of flight (and binder with multiple
    copies of everything)
    If flying Commercial:
    It is your responsibility to check with your commercial airlines for baggage, pet, and COVID-19

    Double check all
    important pet
    Bring ALL pet documentation if traveling with a pet (and copies):
    • Microchip
    • Vaccines
    • Fluorescent Antibody Virus Neutralization (FAVN) rabies blood test
    • 180-day Quarantine
    • Health Certificate
    • Advance Notification (only needed if flying commercial)

    Communicate with
    Communicate your travel arrangements/arrival times/lodging with your sponsor/gaining unit,
    write down their phone numbers, and make sure you have communicated your family needs prior
    to arrival.

    Complete the CheckOut Process
    Contact your losing command with questions regarding the check-out process. You will take all
    required documents/check-out sheets to IPAC.
    After You Arrive
    □ ROM period begins
    ROM (Restriction of Movement) begins immediately upon arrival. ROM means you are unable to
    leave your quarters. Work with your sponsor/gaining command for the most updated ROM
    requirements. Your sponsor is responsible for bringing you anything you need during this period.
    Establish a form of electronic payment to reimburse your sponsor for anything they purchase on
    your behalf.
    □ Check-In with IPAC Your sponsor should assist with the check-in process and introduce you to your gaining command
    after ROM.

    Enroll TRICARE Prime
    TRICARE Prime Overseas is available to active duty service members and their commandsponsored family members living together in non-remote overseas locations. TRICARE Prime
    Overseas Enrollment Information

    Sign up for Welcome
    Orientation brief
    Your sponsor should sign you up for the mandatory welcome brief and provide information on
    childcare. You can also contact your Okinawa/Iwakuni I&R Office for more information. The driving
    course/test portion are included in the welcome brief. No need to study in advance- you will have
    plenty of time to study before taking the test. You will receive your SOFA license upon completion
    of the driver’s test.
    Page 12 of 13

    Familiarize yourself
    with your new base
    Utilize the many MCCS resources on base such as Outdoor Recreation, Information & Referral
    (I&R), New Parent Support, and more. Orient yourself to the Commissary, MCX, Post Office, and
    restaurants. Once you have your SOFA license and a car, it’s time to start exploring!

    Know your
    important phone
    numbers for
    accepting deliveries
    (UB, HHG)
    Know your important phone numbers:
    Destination DMO: Call for questions after your move, Assistance with scheduling delivery, Issues
    with moving company at your destination, Assistance with filing claims, Assistance with submitting
    Personally Procured Move (PPM) claims for reimbursement, Request delivery out of storage,
    Request a storage extension
    Write your local DMO phone number here: ________________
    Destination QA: Call for delivery day issues
    Write your QA phone number here: ___________________
    Destination JPPSO: Call to request an update on shipment status or tracing
    Write your JPPSO phone number here: ___________________

    Accept your Personal
    Property Shipments
    (UB, HHG)
    Communicate which items you would like the delivery crew to unpack: You have a couple of
    options, and you should communicate your personal choice with the TSP ahead of time or in DPS.
    1) A full unpack: Movers empty the boxes of all their contents into the specified rooms. If you
    would like a full unpack, you need to include that in the remarks blocks in DPS Counseling:
    2) A partial unpack: Movers only open boxes in select areas.
    3) Movers assemble furniture that they took apart at the origin (beds, couches, etc.)
    • Your TSP should notify you directly when your shipments are ready for delivery (usually via
    • Know the Required Delivery Date (RDD) which can be found in DPS
    • Read the Unpacking & Unloading tips from move.mil
    •Use the inventory sheet to check off the numbers and ensure that everything is delivered. As the
    boxes/items come off the truck, you should direct them where they should be placed.
    •Once the truck is empty, you should verify on the inventory sheet that everything has been
    delivered. If not, those items need to be annotated on the inventory sheet before you sign off.
    Any lost/damaged items should be listed on the “Loss or Damage at Delivery” form provided by
    the driver. See next section: “Submit a Loss/Damage Report.”

    Submit a
    Loss/Damage Report
    (Note: A loss/damage
    REPORT is different
    than an actual claim.
    You will still need to
    file a claim for lost or
    damaged items.)
    Complete a Loss/Damage Report DD Form 1840 with your TSP AT THE TIME OF DELIVERY:
    See move.mil for full explanation of the Loss/Damage Report.
    If any of your HHG are lost or damaged during the move process, you are entitled to full
    replacement value (FRV) of that item. This means that the moving company should pay to repair or
    replace any lost or damaged property with a like item. The Transportation Service Provider (TSP)
    will require proof of the item’s value and quality and will likely want evidence of the replacement
    cost. Follow the key steps below for documenting loss/damage of household goods at time of
    1. Inspect all items
    2. Note any obvious loss and/or damages and ask the driver to complete and sign a Loss &
    Damage Report (DD Form 1840). Mutual agreement on major items can lead to fewer disputes
    later on.
    3. Acknowledge receipt of all high value items
    4. Review inventories and other forms BEFORE SIGNING
    You can also submit a Loss/Damage report AFTER THE TIME OF DELIVERY: You have 180 days (for
    shipments picked up May 15, 2020 and after) from the date of delivery to notify the moving
    company in DPS of any lost or damaged items that you intend to file a claim for.
    Page 13 of 13

    File an itiemized
    claim for
    Loss/Damage in
    order to be
    The TSP MUST mark
    your shipment as
    “delivery complete”
    status before you can
    start the claim
    Login to DPS to submit a Claim for Loss/Damage.
    A Loss/Damage Report is NOT a claim. After you submit a Loss/Damage Report, you must submit
    an itemized claim in DPS for every item that was lost or damaged during the moving process in
    order to receive reimbursement.
    Gather the following information before logging into DPS to submit an itemized claim:
    • Manufacturer
    • Brief description of item
    • Inventory item number
    • Cost at purchase and year of purchase
    • Description of damage
    • Proof of value or condition, photos & receipts (if available)
    • Repair estimate (optional)
    • Refer to the USTRANSCOM Claims User Guide for more information on claims. Visit the Claims
    Guide on move.mil and check out the “File a Claim” Tutorial if you need additional help.
    • For non-DPS claims such as damage to the residence by the TSP, you will need to file a claim
    for Real Property Damage with the TSP directly.
    • Questions? Contact the Navy Personnel Claims Unit at (888) 897-8217, (757) 440-6315, or email
    Remember this is a negotiation. If you are not happy with an offer, you should reject it.

    File an
    Inconvenience Claim
    Contact your DMO if you need to file an Inconvenience Claim.
    Marines may file an Inconvenience Claim with the TSP when HHG are not picked-up/delivered on
    the agreed upon dates. Contact your local PPO (DMO) for more information and the new process
    for submission of the claim.

    Complete the
    Satisfaction Survey
    (Should be completed
    within seven days
    after delivery is
    Complete your CSS for EACH shipment executed during the PCS.
    The CSS is a tool to make sure only the best moving companies pack, store, and move your
    household goods. It consists of eight questions and allows you to rate your TSP. HQMC reviews all
    ratings and comments and uses the CSS to hold moving companies accountable through warnings
    or suspensions.
    How can I complete the CSS?
    • Click on the link provided to you by the automated email you will receive
    • Login To Defense Personal Property System (DPS) and select the “Customer Satisfaction Survey”
    • Call 1-800-462-2176 and select Option 5.
    • The DTR, Part IV, Personal Property, Chapter 401, paragraph 401-G4h requires all users of the
    Defense Personal Property Program to acknowledge the following statement (in writing) prior
    to shipment: “I understand that I am required to complete the DPS Customer Satisfaction
    Survey (CSS) upon completion of my shipment. Failure to do so may result in my Service being

    Finally, enjoy all that
    Japan has to offer!
    Research local festivals, language classes, cultural events, restaurants, and more. You put a lot of
    work into your move, now take some time to enjoy your new duty station overseas! For Okinawa,
    check out the MCCS Okinawa Liberty App.
    This document was compiled with resources from move.mil, HQMC Guide to PCS, 2020 Peak Season MARADMIN, AMC official
    travel site, official USMC websites (including various DMO websites), and JTR

  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.