How To Register an Imported Motorcycle in Japan

  • Post
    Jerry Herman

    (251cc-up) *A motorcycle is considered a vehicle and is included in the number of vehicles authorized
    *Proof of USFJ personnel (ID CARD) must register with DBIDS*
    1. a. E-4 and below /or civilian equivalent must have an approved request form (CFAY-4651/2) from their CO
    and CFAY approving officer.
    b. An approved command request chit from their respective CO’s. Family entry approval letter or page 2
    (for Active duty)
    c. An employment letter must state your pay grade and number of dependents (for U.S. civilian).
    NOTE: Single E-4 and below/or civilian equivalent are not authorized to purchase or register a vehicle.
    2. Obtain motorcycle driver’s license at license office
    *It must be applicable for the type of vehicle to be registered.
    *2nd driver’s license is required when registering 2nd vehicle.

    3. Obtain Customs form (380EJ) from Yokohama North Dock (phone: DSN 262-9720).
    *If the motorcycle was manufactured after month of July 1999, you have to obtain a Certificate of
    Conformity to Technical Standards of the brake systems from the manufacturer.
    *If the motorcycle was manufactured after month of April 2001, you have to get emission test in
    Tokyo (Approximate cost 100,000yen). Contact JATA (tel# 0425-44-1004) to obtain application
    form. After step#5, take the motorcycle to the inspection place.
    4. Obtain Japanese Compulsory Insurance (JCI) for more than 37 months and Liability insurance for
    minimum period of 12 months.
    5. Take form 380EJ and insurances to Yokosuka City Hall (1st floor) to obtain temporary plate (750yen).
    Then go to VRO, if you need a temporary pass.
    2. Get safety inspection at the Military Car Care Center for safety inspection or another equivalent.
    7. Take the National Agency of Vehicle Inspection (NAVI) application form, the original certificate of
    emission test (if applicable), the original certificate of brake systems (if applicable), and the copy of
    customs form (380EJ) along with the other requirements (see “Requirement of application document for
    imported vehicle”) to LTO (first floor of Bldg.1) for pre-inspection. *The motorcycle does not need to go
    to LTO.
    8. Go to VRO and obtain registration paperwork with all of the original items above.
    *Anyone other than the sponsor must bring an original Power of Attorney.
    9. Go to Yokohama LTO with the motorcycle and paperwork. (Approx cost 7,520yen)
    10. Go to Yokosuka City Hall. Return temporary plate on the 1st floor and go to 2nd floor to register your
    motorcycle for Road tax.
    11. Go back to VRO to get Decal.
    *If you still have on base only license at this point, go back to VRO with your paperwork and license, after
    you obtain permanent motorcycle license.

  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.