Comprehensive PCS Checklist for Moving to Japan / Reporting to Japan

  • Post

    This is an in depth suggested checklist; everything on this list may or may not apply to your situation.
    **Information may change or be updated without notice.
    Please check with your HRO POC if you have any questions
    1) Tentative Job Offer (TJO) issued by O/S HRO via Onboarding Manager
    2) Pre-employment process: Please work with your O/S HRO POCs.
    3) Initiate Keep in Touch process for communication with home command (employees with
    return rights only)
    4) Visit the Japan tours website for information about living and working in Japan
    5) Official Job Offer (OJO) will be issued by OCHR-San Diego Via Onboard Manager
    6) Travel Orders will be issued by O/S HRO after OJO
    7) No-Fee Passports/Household Goods/Flight Itinerary etc. coordinated by selectee after
    receipt of travel orders
    MEDICAL/HEALTH (Selectee and Family members)
     Research into medical insurance that will be available to you in Japan and compare the differences. You
    will be able to change your insurance (current Federal employees via EBIS) 30 days before and 60 days
    after your arrival in Japan. See References enclosure for health plan comparisons.
     Schedule all necessary appointments with your present medical provider to coordinate any ongoing
    medical care, immunizations, and other medical needs that may be completed prior to PCS.
     Make sure your medical and dental records are up to date for you and all your family members who will
    be accompanying you to Japan and request a copy to hand carry with you.
     If you or your family members have special needs or medical conditions, contact your overseas suitability
    coordinator to see if the Yokosuka Navy Hospital is able to accommodate your needs. POC: DSN 315-243-
    5349; Fax 315-243-8976; COMM 011-81-46-816-5349; COMM Fax 011-81-46-816-8976; Email
     Some prescription medications cannot be brought into Japan, but may be locally prescribed. Check to
    see if any of your medications (prescribed and/or over-the –counter) are prohibited in Japan and contact
    the Naval Hospital Overseas Suitability Coordinator. Check this site for list of prohibited medications.
     Schedule eye examinations for self and accompanying family members. Arrange for eyeglass or contact
    prescriptions and duplicates of any special lenses. Have prescriptions updated and keep copies of
    prescriptions with hand carry folder. Basic prescription eye glasses are easily accessible for a reasonable
    price in Japan.
     Schedule dental examinations and have any dental procedures required before departure. Obtain
    necessary paperwork from current medical provider. (Dental services are very limited on military bases
    and the majority of off base Japanese dental clinics do not accept foreign insurance).
    PASSPORTS (Selectee and Family Members)
    * No-Fee passports are issued for official use between the U.S. and the overseas duty location only.
    *Tourist Passports are required if tourist travel to other countries is in your plans while you are overseas. NoFee passports may not be used for personal travel outside of Japan.
    Before Travel Orders have been issued:
     Check that all family member tourist passports are not expired. You should apply for a tourist passport
    before you leave the U.S., or you can apply for one by mail after you arrive at your overseas duty station.
    US Department of State Passport Forms.
    After Travel Orders have been issued:
     Apply for a No-Fee Passport for all sponsored U.S. citizen family members who will reside with you in
    Japan. In some cases, selectee may travel to Japan on a tourist passport as long as he/she has travel
    orders and has applied for the official No-Fee Passport prior to his/her departure to the new duty
    station. No-Fee Passport form DD-1056 for each dependent is required. Submit complete forms to your
    local PSD office. No-fee Passport requests take 6-8 weeks to process.
    If there are any changes to your plans from the original request for orders, notify your overseas HRO before contacting Personnel Support Detachment (PSD) to arrange travel. If orders are accurate and no changes are necessary, please contact the closest PSD to arrange travel. For assistance, you can use the following website to find
    the PSD closest to you:
     Fill out passenger reservation request form NPPSC 4650/1
     Travel itineraries are issued in accordance with orders (e.g. report no later than, report no earlier than,
    leave authorized, concurrent/non-concurrent travel), in coordination with overseas HRO.
     A portion of the cost of pet importation may be a refundable miscellaneous expense, but in all cases the
    cost of pet shipment is the owner’s responsibility (see pet importation requirements for Japan). If
    shipping a pet, notify NAVPTO when submitting the passenger reservation request, then call airlines and
    obtain complete information including layovers, pet care, facilities and costs.
     Contact your command and/or sponsor regarding travel itinerary. Include information about departure from US
    en-route stops, arrival time, carrier, flight number and number of accompanying family members who will be
    accompanying you. Include pet information, if applicable.
    Register at to schedule your pack out. A copy of your orders will have to be submitted to the
    Personal Property Office for the pack out dates to be confirmed. To coordinate your household goods shipment,
    please contact a government personal property office (PPO) in your area. For assistance in locating a local PPO,
    you can use the website.
    Usually you will have separate pack outs – total allowable shipments and storage not to exceed 18,000lbs:
    1. Express shipment (unaccompanied baggage or UB): limited 350lbs per person not to exceed total
    2,000lbs. May take approximately 30 days to arrive. If departing within 30 days from scheduling, UB
    shipment will not be authorized. **Search Google or Pinterest for ideas on what to pack in your express
    2. Household goods shipment: Household goods you are sending overseas; may take approximately 60-80
    days to arrive.
    3. Non-Temporary storage (long term storage; no access during overseas tour): Household goods placed
    in storage until you return from overseas assignment.
     Survey your possessions so that you can have any items repaired and cleaned (e.g. rugs cleaned) that
    you plan to put in storage or ship to your overseas location.
     Research availability of housing options in the area that you are moving to, this may be a good topic of
    discussion with your sponsor. Some housing options may be limited due to household goods quantity
    and size.
     Obtain a written appraisal for valuable items (i.e. antiques, jewelry, furs or paintings) from a licensed
    appraiser. This is optional but may help in the event of loss or damage to your personal items.
     Take photos of valuable possessions and electronics (include s/n numbers) for insurance purposes.
     Prepare a general inventory list by room, closet, attic, garage etc., of all household and personal
    possessions both for your own use and so that you will be able to make an accurate estimate of their
    value for insurance purposes.
     Decide and list what you will include in your unaccompanied baggage. Plan an unaccompanied baggage
    shipment that will enable you to set up basic housing essentials since it may be 1-3 months before your
    surface shipment arrives. **Google search or a Pinterest search for ideas on what to pack in your
    express shipment.
     Firearms and fighting instruments are not permitted in Japan must make arrangements for storage
     Check Japan Customs Website for prohibited items in Japan
     Sell or find alternate arrangements for car, trucks, RV, boats etc.
    If you require a POV as an accommodation, please contact your overseas HRO for more information and
     Check dry cleaners and other cleaning or repair services that you regularly use to make sure that you have collected and not forgotten to retrieve any of your belongings before your pack outs. Re-home house plants and
    pets that will not be accompanying you. (Live plants and seeds are prohibited to bring into Japan).RENTAL
    After Official job offer and travel orders issued:
     If Renting: Notify landlord impending termination; most places will waiver cancellation fees as long as
    you show official government travel orders but check with your lease agreement landlord first.
     Property Management: If renting out your home, interview property management services to decide
    which company to go through. The property management company will advise you on what needs to be
    done in order to rent out your property.
     Disconnect and pay utilities and services such as gas, electric, waste management, water, phone and
    cable etc.
     Suspend or discontinue cell phone for selectee and accompanying family members: most cell phone
    companies will suspend your contract and waive cancelation fees while you are overseas as long as you
    show your travel orders. You may also check with your cell phone provider on ability to maintain your
    current plan with similar usage overseas.
     Consolidate expenses: set up electronic banking for continuing bills e.g. student loans, car loans, mortgages, credit card, store credit, etc.
     Banking: Yokosuka Naval Base banking facilities include the Navy Federal Credit Union and Community
    Bank (Bank of America). Navy Federal Credit Union accounts may be established and utilized worldwide. Navy Federal only distributes U.S. dollars. Community Bank accounts may only be established and
    utilized overseas and distributes and accepts both U.S. dollars and Japanese yen.
     Banking: Research and ensure that you have access to banking that will allow for access both overseas
    and for continued payments of stateside financial obligations.
     One time Salary Advance of up to three (3) months of base pay; must be actively requested. Advance
    coordination may be done prior to arrival; however actual payment will not be effected until after
    entrance on duty overseas. The maximum period for repayment is 26 pay periods and begins the first
    pay period after advance is issued. The maximum amount of salary advance eligbiltiy will be indicated
    on the travel orders; no interest is charged. Information regarding this will be provided by the overseas
    HRO LR/ER Allowance Division after arrival.
     Miscellaneous expense and travel claims are filed with the Command for current Federal employees and
    with HRO LR/ER Allowance Division for new employees (after arrival).
    (a) Either flat rate of $650 or the equivalent of one week’s basic gross pay, whichever is the lesser
    amount, if you have no sponsored dependents relocating with you; or
    (b) Either flat rate of $1,300 or the equivalent of two weeks’ basic gross pay, whichever is the lesser
    amount, if you have sponsored dependents relocating with you.
    *The selectee is considered the sponsor for the accompanying family members but you will also be assigned
    a Command onsite sponsor in Japan to assist in coordinating your relocation. Command onsite sponsor
    point of contact information is in your tentative job offer letter.
     Contact your Command onsite sponsor for assistance with scheduling the following:
    o Transportation from airport: reserve seats on the Narita to Yokosuka bus or Yokota shuttle. If
    travelling with pets, must make alternate arrangements.
    o Temporary housing at Navy Lodge (limited rooms with pet accommodations) or other
    o Reserve pet accommodations at the Yokosuka Kennel, 011-81-3117-43-4530 or DSN 243-4530.
    o Enrollment into Area Orientation Briefing (AOB); 1 week. Mandatory attendance for all adults.
    o SOFA licensing is contingent upon completion of AOB, a written driving exam and practical driving
    test. A valid state side driver’s license is required in order to obtain a SOFA driver’s license.
    o CAC/ID card schedule on line at http// Yokosuka Naval Base BLDG 1555 (same
    bldg. as PSD).
    o Contact daycare and/or schools for children’s registration. Hours and contact numbers can be found
    in the Useful Reference Links portion of this checklist. Please request more detailed information
    from your Command onsite sponsor.
    o Request that your sponsor obtain an FPO box to obtain your personal mailing address while overseas.
    LEGAL (Selectee and Family Members)
     Schedule an appointment with your attorney to discuss any legal issues. Take copies of current wills,
    power of attorney, insurance policies and other legal document in your carryon luggage.
     Discuss legal needs pertinent to overseas transfer, including storage of and access to the following
    important documents:
    o Birth Certificate of each Family member.
    o Proof of marriage; proof of termination of previous marriage.
    o List of all bank accounts (with addresses and account numbers) including names of persons
    authorized to make withdrawals and sign checks.
    o Inventories of stored and shipped household goods.
    o Real estate records-Deed, mortgage papers, title abstract, title insurance policy, closing
    statement, insurance policy on house, survey of property tax receipts, leases, building cost
    figures, receipts for any improvements, cemetery deed.
    o Insurance policy on household effects.
    o Policies on separately insured valuables such as furs, jewelry, antiques and paintings, with
    written appraisals.
    o Social Security card for each family member, where applicable.
    o List of instructions for survivors.
    o Employment records for each adult- names, places, dates copies of any instrument entitling
    employee or survivors to special benefits such as insurance, pensions, stock options etc.
    o Medical history of each adult – names, places, dates, copies of any instrument entitling
    employee or survivors to special benefits such as insurance, pensions, stock options etc.
    o Medical History of each family member; this might be difficult to collect overseas if parents are
    deceased or if necessary for insurance purposes.
    o Income tax papers and significant tax returns, (statute of limitations is 3~6 years).
    o Life, Medical, Disability, group insurance policies- amount and beneficiary of each policy with
    names and addresses. (Insurance companies generally require certified notification of death
    within 30 days, together with proof of birth and citizenship).
    o Stocks, bonds and other securities, date and cost of purchase, who purchased them and in
    whose names they are registered, list of stocks pledged as security for a loan, name of
    stockbroker, serial numbers.
    o Proof of membership in any professional, fraternal or union organization that entitles estate to
    any benefits.
    o List of charge accounts and credit cards with numbers.
    o List of all assets and liabilities, including personal valuables, etc. with date of any insurance
    coverage (policy numbers, location of policies, etc.).
    SCHOOLS and CHILDCARE (Selectee and Family Members)
     Notify your children’s school of impending travel plans in case special examinations must be scheduled
    to allow completion of term work. Request grade reports, test results, teacher evaluations, samples of
    work, etc. top facilitate grade placement at your new command.
     Collect copies of college/university transcripts.
     School and childcare options are available and should be researched prior to arrival to ensure availability
    of childcare options. Options include but are not limited to Department of Defense (DoD) schools on
    base, on base Child Development Centers (CDCs), Japanese schools, International schools, on base home
    care, off-base home care, and more.
     Check the DOD schools website for more information.
    PETS (Selectee and Family Members)
    *Check the websites in the Useful Reference Links portion of this checklist as regulations and requirements
    regarding importing and exporting pets may change without notice. Transporting pets can be stressful for
    you and your pet unless you are properly prepared.
     Familiarize with steps to take pets to Japan and start to make arrangements ASAP. Make sure shot
    records are up to date and FAVN tests taken and your pet(s) are micro-chipped.
     Request a hard copy of medical records for each pet to hand carry.
     Obtain a pet carrier that is suitable for flight travel regulations and start training pet to get accustomed
    to pet carrier. *Check with your airline regarding acceptable pet carriers. Have your pet accustomed to
    the carrier before your departure.
     ENSURE THAT ALL CERTIFICATES and REQUIREMENTS are coordinated prior to travel with your pet.
    SHOPPING and MISC (Selectee and Family Members)
     Notify all stores of charge accounts you wish to terminate.
    *Costco Membership card will allow members to shop in their Japan stores.
     Check with Command onsite sponsor and/or Pinterest/Google search for any essential “you can’t live
    without” items that may be unavailable or expensive at your new command.
     Return any rental items e.g. DVDs, library books, equipment, rug doctor etc.
    RELATIVES AND FRIENDS (Selectee and Family Members)
     Provide your relatives with specific information on how to mail letters and packages to you, as soon as
    you know of your forwarding address.
     Provide a personal email (Hotmail, Gmail, and Yahoo etc.) to your friends and relatives or add them to
    your social media so you can stay in touch “electronically”.
     Leave the local Red Cross telephone number with your relatives so they can notify you immediately in
    case of a sudden illness or death in the family. Yokosuka American Red Cross 011-81-46-816-7490 or DSN (315)
    243-7490 or email
     Travel orders (at least 5 copies)
     Transportation Service Agreement DD1617
     Rotation Agreement
     Passport for each family member
     Contact information for your Command onsite sponsor
     Proof of citizenship if naturalized citizen
     Social Security cards and birth certificates
     Custody documentation for dependents (if applicable)
     Adoption paperwork for adopted dependents (if applicable)
     Copies of insurance polices
     Driver’s license
     School records for each accompanying dependent children
     Medical/Dental records to include Immunization record for each family member including pets
     Copy of any Power of Attorneys
     Copy of Will(s)
     Credit cards and any store cards e.g. COSTCO membership card
     Inventory of accompanied baggage and all shipment and stored possessions including pictures.
     Copy of packer’s inventory
     Receipt for checked baggage
     Inventory of bank safe deposit box contents (if applicable)
     Extra passport size photos for each family member
     Extra set of baggage keys
     An address book or list with names, addresses, phone numbers, e-mail address and important dates to remember
    for everyone you wish to remain in contact with.
     All transcripts (college/university), licenses or certificates for self and dependents if applicable.
     Resumes (copies and on USB storage or CD) for self and spouse/dependents, include copies of all reference letters
    and point of contact list.
    DoD Schools in Japan:
    Hours and Contact numbers for Child Development Centers in Yokosuka:
    US Military Newspaper:
    Japanese Newspapers in English- Japan Times:
    Online Newspapers links list:
    Living in Japan Guides:
    Prohibited Pharmaceuticals into Japan:
    Yokosuka Naval Hospital:
    Important facts about Overseas Healthcare Coverage:
    Compare Health Plans:
    Yokosuka HRO:
    HRO PCS Site:
    HHG Shipment:
    Living Quarters Allowance:
    Allowances by location:
    Per Diem Rates:
    Travel Regulations:
    Japan Customs Prohibited items in Japan:
    Tourist Passport Application:
    No-Fee Passport Application:
    US Embassy in Tokyo:
    Japan Embassy in US:
    Importing Pets:
    Pet Requirements Memo:
    Pet requirements for entrance into Japan:
    Pet kennels:
    HQ AMC Pet Brochure:
    Veterinary Treatment Services:
    Camp Zama:

  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
xpornplease pornjk porncuze porn800 porn600 tube300 tube100 watchfreepornsex